Obtaining a visa to Kazakhstan
To obtain a visa to enter Kazakhstan, all applicants are required to submit the following documents:
- A cover letter (Ottawa; Toronto), indicating in details the purpose of the visit. (Для граждан, направляющихся в РК с целью посещения родственников необходимо приложить заявление (Оттава; Торонто).
- A completed VISA APPLICATION FORM.
- One colour photo (35mm x 45 mm). The photo must be taken at the proper photograph outlet and must be stamped on the back side indicating the date when the photo has been taken. The photo must not be older than six months.
- Applicant’s passport and a photocopy of the first page. Copy of the Permanent Resident Card (for non-canadians) or any other document proving legal status in Canada;
- Hotel reservation confirmation (for tourist visa requests only).
- For former citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan: a copy of the Loss of Citizenship Certificate (копия справки об утрате гражданства РК) (Cм. Раздел «Вопросы гражданства). For other former soviet republics citizens – proof of their prior citizenship (e.g. copy of the previous passport or landed immigrant paper);
- A money order or certified cheque made payable to the Embassy of Kazakhstan in Canada (NO CASH OR PERSONAL CHEQUES). The money order or certified cheque should be in US currency.
- If you need your documents to be sent back by mail please enclose a self-addressed prepaid envelope. Please, use Prepaid Canada Post Shipping Envelopes.
- If you would like to obtain visas for your children under 16 years of age, please provide in addition to the above documents: copy of child’s Birth Certificate, copies of parents’ passports. If the documents are submitted by mail, please provide a cover letter signed by both parents and notarized. If you are submitting documents in person, presence of both parents is mandatory or please present a notarised consent of the absent parent. Each application for children should contain a full set of the documents mentioned above.
If you are travelling to Kazakhstan in order to visit your family or friends the purpose of your visit is private. You need to apply for a Home Stay Visa. Single entry Home Stay Visa costs 70USD.
- Citizens of Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Hungary, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Japan, Qatar, South Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Sultanate of Oman, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates and USA do not need an invitation for obtaining a single entry diplomatic, official, business, home stay, transit tourist visas up to 30 days and double entry tourist visa up to 60 days.
- FORMER CITIZENS OF KAZAKHSTAN, their spouses and children, and persons who used to live permanently in Kazakhstan (must present original documents proving these statuses) do not need an invitation for obtaining a single entry home stay visa up to 90 days.
If you require a visa with more than one entry an invitation is a must (except double entry tourist visa). Please, provide in addition to the above the following documents depending on the type of the visa applied for:
- Business visa: A covering letter from the applicant or applicant’s company, copy of the invitation letter from a host company in Kazakhstan, the original of which has been submitted to the Department of Consular Services of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan. The invitation must clearly indicate the following: name of the applicant; name of inviting company; exact dates of the visit to Kazakhstan. Inviting company should provide the confirmation (visa support/telex) number for your trip; the number for the confirmation is usually given in advance and written on the letter of invitation.
- Work visa: A covering letter from the applicant or applicant’s company, copy of the invitation letter from a host company in Kazakhstan, the original of which has been submitted to the Department of Consular Services of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan. The invitation must clearly indicate the following: name of applicant; name of inviting company; exact dates of the visit to Kazakhstan. Inviting company should provide the confirmation (visa support/telex) number for your trip; the number for the confirmation is usually given in advance and written on the letter of invitation. Copy of the work permit.
- Tourist visa: A covering letter from the applicant, copy of the invitation letter from the hosting tourist company in Kazakhstan, licensed for visa support purposes, and confirming arrangements made, hotel reservation confirmation;
- Home stay visa: A covering letter from the applicant, an original invitation for temporary visit. Your relatives or friends in Kazakhstan can obtain an invitation from the local authorities (Ministry of Internal Affairs) and send the original letter of invitation to your address in Canada. The invitation is valid within one year from the date of issue.
- Transit visa: A covering letter from the applicant, a visa to the country of destination and copies of your ticket or itinerary. Transit visa is valid only for five days (included).
CLICK HERE to download a Visa Fee Chart
CLICK HERE to download a Visa Fee Chart for the citizens of the United States of America
All foreign citizens must register at the local office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan or at the hotel (where available) within 72 hours upon arrival to Kazakhstan. Otherwise they will be fined by the Immigration Service.
NOTE: The normal processing time for a visa request is seven business days from the time when all proper requirements have been met. Depending on the paper load the processing time may take up to 14 days. In case of emergency (unexpected illness, death of relatives) visas may be issued within three working days upon submitting a certified cable from a medical doctor or a copy of a death certificate.
Forms and documents submitted in a manner different from that of described above will not be accepted and will be returned.
Applicant’s passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of visa expiry.
The fee for visa processing is not refundable. Visa fees are subject to change at any time without prior notice.
Please, do not call the Embassy or the Consulate just to find out whether your documents have been delivered or sent out. For this you may visit courrier’s website and track your shipment.